Thursday, March 6, 2008

My new friend - Sanjay Singh



If I never see another site in India my trip has been worth it. My company contracts with with local firms to host visitors in the various countries were it has operations. After completing our work for today my associate and I decided to vist a couple of the historical sites of Hyderabad. The most famous of course is Charminar. A man named Sanjay Singh was assigned the task of tour guide. I didn't know what to expect. But later I was personally touched to know he was the one who was assigned to show us around the city.
After climbing up the tower and viewing the sites Sanjay shared with us that he was born in the hospital next to the Charminar. His mother, a doctor, held her practice there. He grew up in this area. As a child, he caught a bus to school at the foot of the Charminar. A bus stop that is no longer there - replaced by markets. Once he finished school he never returned to this part of the city. Until...

Today was the 1st day for him in more than 30 years to set foot in the Charminar. We stood for a long time at the top. Me enjoying the cool breeze, and he enjoying his memories. The hospital where he was born, and where his mother held her practice is seen in the background (blue building). Before we decended the winding staircase he said "It was written in my book of life that I was to be here with you, this very day." The implication is that he was written into my book as well. I am still pondering the power behind that statement. The similarity between us all, to understand all things are connected.
Please meet my friend Sanjay.

No comments: